Object of compulsory pilotage
Pilotage is compulsory for all foreign vessels of more than 500 GRT.
Compulsory pilotage zone
Within the area between the Ippado pilot boarding ground and the inner harbor.
When require a pilot
Entering or leaving the port. Shifting within the compulsory pilotage zone
Pilot boarding ground
Most of vessels shall pick up a pilot at the Ippado pilot boarding ground in Lat. 37?° 08' 10" N, Long. 126?° 29' 53" E, where the boundary of the compulsory pilotage zone is. Very large vessels shall pick up pilots at the Janganseo pilot boarding ground at Lat. 37?° 03' 22" N, Long. 126?° 17' 17" E. In heavy weather, this boarding will be made in inner position, Lat. 37?° 07' 48". 80N Long. 126?° 24' 00" E for pilot boarding safety.
Call "Pyeongtaek Pilot" on channel 77.
Very careful attentions shall be paid to prevent accidents in pilot embark and disembark procedures at sea.
A pilot ladder is required as described below. It shall be basically rigged in accordance with IMO requirements and IMPA(International Maritime Pilot's Association) recommendations.
- Vessel speed should be about 6 knots unless otherwise directed by the pilot.
- The ship's heading shall be accordingly adjusted so that the pilot may embark or disembark on the lee side, away from the seas.
- The ladder must be in good condition.
- The ladder shall be rigged approximately two meters above the water with no slack in the ladder on deck.
- No boat ropes or man ropes are required No line or hooks shall be attached to the foot of the ladder.
- At night time, a brilliant light is required to shine forward, and so as not to shine into the pilot boat operator's eyes, to illuminate the ladder.
- The ladder shall be attended by an officer equipped with a portable radio communication to communicate with the ship's bridge.
An escort to and from the bridge shall be provided by an officer.
For your information, the graphical guide for safe pilot boarding arrangements is quoted below.